BirthNetwork National is leading a grassroots movement based on the belief that birth can profoundly affect our physical, mental and spiritual well-being. BirthNetwork National advocates Mother-Friendly care, as defined by the Coalition for Improving Maternity Services (CIMS) Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative (MFCI). By making informed choices and having confidence in the process, families can experience safe and satisfying childbirth.
- Birth is a normal, healthy process, not an illness or disease.
- Empowering births can take place in hospitals, birth centers, and homes.
- Maternity care should be evidence-based and woman-centered.
- Women are entitled to complete and accurate information on their full range of options for pregnancy, birth, post-partum and breastfeeding.
- Women have a right to make health care decisions for themselves and their babies. That right includes Informed Consent as well as Informed Refusal.
a 501c3 organization